The Outdoors Club is a social club for people who like outdoor activities, and it offers an inexpensive way to get out and see Australia, and enjoy regular weekends of outdoor adventuring. The activities we like to do are:
- Rock Climbing (Bouldering, Sport, Trad, Indoor)
- Kayaking (Whitewater, Sea, Kayak Polo)
- Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding
- Cycle Touring
- Mountain Biking
Over the years the sports we do change depending on what our current trip leaders are passionate about. Have a look at the sports menu for more information on the different sports we do.
We are affiliated with UNSW but anyone can join the club, whether you're a beginner, experienced, at UNSW, or not a student at all. We are a very beginner friendly club with lots of beginner trips and training. We are entirely volunteer run and are funded by our membership fees ($40 for 6 months, $60 for 12 months) and university grants, so this means that on club trips there are no event fees, no gear fees, and no guiding fees! All you'll pay for is your share of transport, food, camping costs, and venue entry (if applicable), aside from that our trips are free!
All the club trips are run by ordinary members of the club. Anyone is welcome to organise and advertise a trip through the club, and if you need help in organising it, there is no shortage of experienced club members who will be willing to help you out. Trip leaders will usually set a limit on the number of people who can attend a trip (often around 8 people, although it can be more or less depending on the activity), you must sign up and be approved for a trip so it is advisable to be quick!
You should join us on facebook to keep up to date with all the goings on. Our facebook page is where we do almost all of our communication, and when a trip is posted on the website it will be advertised on facebook.
- Welcome BBQ - At the start of every semester (usually in week 1) we throw a free BBQ to welcome the new members. The night is filled with sausage sandwiches, cheap beer, slacklining, table-bouldering, climbing various structures, and other monkey business.
- Boree Log - Every semester we run a big weekend away where we take about 150 people up to the mountains for a weekend of camping, climbing, canyoning, hiking, and other sports if possible. We all head up on Friday night, Saturday morning we get up and go out on our trips, that night we cook you a big feast and have a themed party, Sunday morning we pack and clean up, head out on our trips for the day, and finally come back down to Sydney. Have a look here for more info: Boree Log.
- Ski Weekend - In 2015 we had our first big ski-weekend away. In mid-August we hired a bus to take 60 of us down to Jindabyne where we stayed in a lodge and had two great days of resort skiing. This is a great opportunity for people to learn how to ski so that we can get more people out to the back-country which is where our hearts lie. We're going to try to keep this going in the years to come.
- Bungonia Palooza - Every year we try to have a weekend down in Bungonia National Park for Caving and other sports.
- Easter Climbing - The mid semester-break usually falls on Easter which gives us a chance to go somewhere a little further afield for a week of crushing! Often a bunch of members will head down to Mt Arapiles and live the climbing bum dream, though a perhaps little short lived. This is an intermediate-advanced trip.
- Winter Safari - After the depths of winter pass the snow fields start to melt and this provides us with one of the best opportunities for whitewater kayaking. We head down to the Snowy Mountains in the Semester 2 break and paddle the melt-water. This is an intermediate-advanced trip.
- And of course regular trips pretty much every weekend during semester!
Your club membership gives you:
- Free Attendance to all Club Trips
- Free Attendance and Dinner at Boree Log, the clubs huge bi-annual weekend away.
- Free access to all the Club's gear - tents, backpacks, stoves, etc. on any club trip.
- Cheap gear hire on any private trip
- Cheap climbing on Thursday nights during uni sessions: $5 (Harnesses for $2, shoes for $5)
- Reduced climbing at The Ledge at all other times: $8
- $10 Climbing at St Peter's Indoor Climbing Gym on Mondays and Fridays (Only if you are a student)
- $12.50 Climbing at 9 Degrees Bouldering Gym.
- 20% off at Mountain Designs
- 15% off at www.climbinganchors.com.au
- 10% off accesories at Barrington Outdoor Adventure Centre
- 10% off at Mountain Equipment
If this sounds like your thing we'd love to have you in the club! Check out the join page here to see how to join.